If a fire broke out in your home...
- Would you and your family get out in time?
- Would your children know what to do in the event of a fire?
Did you know that...?
- More than half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents, cooking left unattended and chip pan fires.
- Faulty electrical appliances and overloaded sockets cause around 7,000 house fires across Britain every year.
- Every three days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette.
- More than five fires a day are started by candles.
Here at Arhag, we want to make sure that you and your family stay safe from fire accidents in your home. Paying attention to reducing fire risks now could save your lives, find some useful tips below, and see the Fire Safety document on the right hand menu about household appliance safety:
Keeping your family safe
- Always take extra care with hot oil.
- Do not leave children alone in the kitchen.
- Keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach of children, even if you are in the room.
- Put candles in secure holders and never leave them unattended.
- Do not overload electrical sockets.
- Put out cigarettes properly.
- Make sure that your smoke detector is in working order, do not cover or disconnect it.
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading.
- Unplug electrical appliances unless they have to be left on - for example your freezer.
- Make sure vents on games consoles or freeview / sky boxes are not covered.
- Make sure your cooker is turned off.
- Do not leave the washing machine on overnight.
- Put out candles and cigarettes.
- Make sure exits are kept clear in case you need to escape.
- Keep door and window keys where you can find them.
Your local fire service offers a free fire safety check, you can call the Home Fire Safety Visit Call Centre on 08000 28 44 28 or Email email@example.com for more information.