As your landlord, we are required to carry out periodic inspections and associated testing to check whether an electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued service. At Arhag, this is done once every 10 years. On completion of the necessary inspection and testing, an Electrical Installation Condition Report will be issued detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliance with the present-day safety standard which might give rise to danger.
We have a duty of care to you as the tenant and must ensure that the installation is safe and is maintained. The Landlords and Tenants Act (1985) requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is:
- Safe when a tenancy begins.
- Maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.
WHY THE NEED FOR TESTING?
Periodic inspection and testing is necessary because all electrical installations deteriorate due to a number of factors such as damage, wear & tear, corrosion, excessive electrical loading, ageing and environmental influences.
WHAT IS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO?
Electrical installations can be dangerous, the following statistics help make this point:
- Electricity is a major cause of fire in property and causes 20,000 fires per year.
- Electricity kills at least one person each week.
- Almost 1,000 people are injured by electricity each week.
- Around 1,000 electrical accidents at work are reported to the HSE each year.
ELECTRICAL TESTING PROGRAMME
The electrical testing programme has commenced, we will be writing to you shortly with an appointment. Could you please ensure that you provide our contractors access to carry out the electrical inspection.