English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Out of Hours Emergency Repairs: 0800 389 8699 

Gas Inspections - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Which equipment is covered by the annual check?

For tenants, we will carry out a gas safety check of any gas appliances which are provided by Arhag. We will not service appliances which you own, for example gas cookers. We will also ensure that the flue and chimney are safe. If we need to disconnect an appliance you own to check the chimney or flue, we will reconnect your appliance, but not service it.
We do not check gas appliances in leasehold and shared ownership properties. The resident is responsible for this, using a Gas Safe registered engineer. We will check any flue or chimney linked to appliances which the resident or their engineer, tell us may be causing a problem.

Can I - as a resident - take responsibility for these duties?

No it is a legal requirement for us to undertake the service and we have appointed contractors from the Gas Safe Register to do this at no cost to you.

Must I allow access to the property for safety checks?

Yes, under your tenancy agreement, you must give us access to carry the safety check. If we are refused access after repeated requests, we will take action through the courts. This could result in you losing your home if access continues to be denied.

How do I know whether the gas installer is on the Gas Safe Register?

Before we take a contractor on we always check that they are on the Gas Safe Register, the national watchdog for gas safety in the United Kingdom. The registration number is printed at the top of all safety checks. If in doubt please check with us by calling the freephone maintenance number.

What if an appliance fails the safety check?

The safety check record will contain details of any defects together with any action taken to remedy them at that time. Any defects on appliances owned by us will be put right free of charge and as soon as possible. It is an offence to use, or allow the use of, a gas appliance you know to be unsafe. Never reconnect an appliance that you have been told is unsafe, or which has either been isolated or disconnected for safety reasons.

What action do I take in the event of a gas leak?

If you smell gas, or suspect there is a gas leak, you should immediately shut off the gas supply at the meter, open windows, extinguish naked flames, do not use electrical switches and call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

I have not seen a copy of any safety check record - what should I do?

Call us on the freephone maintenance number and we will ask your region to send you a copy of the safety check record.

What must I do if I have a gas appliance, flue or other fittings I own?

Residents are responsible for the maintenance and safety of appliances, flues and other fittings they own. To make sure you and your family remain safe from the possible dangers, follow these simple steps to gas safety:
  • Ensure appliances are checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Be cautious when buying second hand appliances. Do not save on safety.

Never be tempted to do-it-yourself with gas.